Santi On The Go Just another WordPress site Sat, 17 Sep 2016 01:24:29 +0000 en-US hourly 1 54802398 Home So Soon? Thu, 14 Nov 2013 18:57:32 +0000 Just wanted to remind y’all that we will be coming home in a couple of days. We are looking forward to see everybody! Not so much the actually ending the vacation 🙂

Anyways, see ya soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Floods of Family in Texas Sun, 03 Nov 2013 18:27:14 +0000 This past week we were in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin, TX. In Houston we met up with family on mom’s side and went to several places. We went to TopGolf (a golf game), the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. The stadiums where some of the TX sport teams play, and Bishops Palace in Galveston, TX.

At TopGolf we tried to hit golf balls near a flag. Around the flag is a net and if you hit the ball into the net you get points and whoever has the most points after twenty hits, wins. When we finished playing, we headed to the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart.

It is a beautiful church with a colorful stain glass window of Jesus and His Sacred Heart at the back of the church. We looked around for a while, then drove around looking at the stadiums.

Daddy loved seeing them. But all we did was take pictures.

We went back to the house and went to sleep. In the morning we went to Galveston. While there we went to Bishop’s Palace. Bishop’s palace was where the Gresham family stayed before the archdiocese bought it from them. It was a nice big house and it even had stain glass windows! And get this, when archbishop moved in they destroyed a room and made a beautiful chapel. We made our way through the house and upon leaving we decided to get lunch. We ate good food.

After that we really didn’t do anything except I caught four frogs. It was cute because before I went to bed I put a brick with holes in it and in the morning one had buddied up with another frog ’cause
there was only three holes.

Then we drove to San Antonio but on the way we were caught in a lightning storm. Uh oh. We’ve heard something like this before, but this time it’s worse! Daddy drove into a Walmart so mom can pick some stuff up. But daddy told mom to be quick because we were already seeing bright flashes coming from the nearby clouds. While mommy was in the Walmart we saw several lightning bolts that was not that far away. Then all of a sudden a lightning bolt strikes a lamppost that was less than four hundred feet away! The bulb exploded and a second later we can see sparks flying. While pulling out of the store all the birds were upset by the lightning and so there was over a hundred birds just flying around us! It was crazy! On our way we were about ready to pull over and wait it out because there was a flash flood warning. But when we learned that our family’s place was up on a hill we continued our trek. As we were driving we could just see the water gushing through the ditch. We eventually made it and got to watch the end (literally 🙂 ) of the World Series.

In the morning we had breakfast tacos. Then it was off to quilting while the men did their thing. We didn’t do a real quilt but we made quillows (quilt/pillow). Quillows are blankets with a little pocket on it and when you fold it and stick it in the pocket it makes a pillow. The quilt part is that the front of the pocket is a quilt block. We spent almost the whole day quilting. But we did take breaks. In fact after eating lunch we took a walk, then started again at dinner Gigi was done (she had chosen a simpler quilt block. The next day we finished the quillows and went around downtown San Antonio.

Naw’lins Thu, 31 Oct 2013 04:43:28 +0000 Today we went to New Orleans. We started our day by having beignets for breakfast, at Cafe du Mond. Mmmmmm! I can just taste that powdered sugar! For those of you who don’t know what beignets, they are a French donut with powdered sugar on top; they are very good if I do say so myself 🙂 After eating walked across the street to the Cathedral of St. Louis. The cool thing about this cathedral was that the stain glass windows depicted scenes from the life of St. Louis.

Then we went to the old Ursuline convent. There was so much to see there, especially old things. For instance, there was an old grandfather clock that survived the 1900s hurricane in Galveston, TX. The wood that incased the clock was gone but the gold-plated face, along with some shattered glass, survived. There was also an old staircase and the original roof of the convent. Most of the things on display had to do with the Archbishop Hannen, the now-deceased archbishop of New Orleans. We looked around a little bit longer, then left to eat lunch.

We had yummy duck pastrami, muffulettas, and other good stuff. Afterwards we caught the streetcar so we could see the Mercedes Benz Superdome (where the New Orleans Saints Football team plays). Oh, I almost forgot, while looking at things at the convent we saw a funny prayer that the Archbishop had written for the team. (Note: insert photo) Funny huh? Anyways, just wanted to share this really funny prayer.

We didn’t go to the Superdome in the end, because we had to go to Mass at the cathedral.
After Mass we went Muriel’s, a restaurant nearby. We ate our dinner, then went back to our campsite, thus ending our day in Naw’lins.

Ave Maria Grotto Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:28:18 +0000 Today we went to Ave Maria Grotto. It was a grotto built in 1918 by Father Joseph Zoetl. It started as a hobby of building mini grottos. Then, when a cargo load of marble toppled over and was crushed, they gave it to the Benedictine monks. Brother Zoetl soon set to work on more grottos.

We walked around the gift shop, then we went to look at the mini grottos. We noticed that Brother Zoetl liked animals because there was a little lizard condo and a chipmunk crossing. In fact, while we were looking at one of the grottos we spotted a couple of real lizards.

The grottos were beautiful. My favorite part was little Jerusalem. The whole hillside was covered with replicas from Jesus’s life from Bethlehem to Calvary! There also were grottos dedicated to saints and replicas of monasteries, to replicas of real shrines around the world.

This was a cool stop and I was glad we could make it! Thank you Jesus for this opportunity!

Anyways, we then left for our campsite and rested so we could be ready for the day to come.

New England Coast Sun, 27 Oct 2013 05:08:57 +0000 Trying to catch up on our slide shows, so here’s highlights from our time on the New England Coast

Jetty Island Float Find – Part 1 Fri, 25 Oct 2013 23:54:13 +0000 (This is part 1 of this story)

On Sunday, we went with my dad’s side of the family to Jetty Island in Everett for their Annual Glass Float Find.

We got to the island around 9 am, but the beach didn’t open up until 10:30 (We had to stake our claim). So we talked, watched the uncles and boys play with the football, looked for poking sticks, and took pictures until about 10:20. Then, we all lined up at the rope, and waited restlessly with all the others who came for the same reason that we were there, waiting for the horn to blow.When it did, I don’t think anyone closest to the rope heard it, but the message quickly spread to the front of the group where we were at: “Go!”

Suddenly, it was a mad stampede for the beach. Everyone took off running for the beach, which was about 100 feet away. My cousin’s friend and I started by poking under logs, and dragging our poking sticks in the sand, hoping to strike treasure. After about 7 minutes of looking on the dry, sandy, beach, we decided to start looking in the mudflats. The staffers had said that the area where the floats were hidden only extended out to about 15 feet into the mud, so we walked out about 13 feet, then we started poking our sticks about 1-2 inches in to the mud.

After about 10 minutes of searching, I decided that it was time to get dirty. After being able to only poke my stick down about 1 inch, I stuck my right hand into the mud, hoping to feel something smooth and round. Alas, something was there, but it was only a piece of buried driftwood. Nevertheless, we still kept searching. Every time I would hit something, in the hand would go. I probably had dug at least 6 mini-holes, when I finally felt something smooth touch my fingertips.

At first, I thought that I dreaming, but after a started digging a little deeper, I knew that this was the real deal. When I pulled it out of the mud, it looked exactly like a glass ball covered in mud. 🙂 The ball was a light, amber with small, more opaque splatter dots going around it. I felt victorious: I had done it!

As I walked toward the beach to show my mom, my cousin came up to me and said, “Cool! You found one, too?” It turns out that FiFi had also found one, only she had found hers in the first 10 minutes, in between some logs, under a pile of bark. After showing Mom, I washed the float in a small puddle of muddy water that had been left after someone had dug a hole in the hopes of finding a float. Then, I went back out to help the others find a float.

After about 20 minutes, I took my Keens off, (they are very good shoes, though they are probably not meant as mud shoes ;)) then ran into the mud barefoot. Hard driftwood and sharp shells were almost non-existent, so I didn’t have to worry about getting scraped. I think that my cousin and I (she gave me the idea) spent the next 20 minutes to 1/2 hour simply running in the mud. It was like a day at the spa, mud wrap and all! We didn’t find anymore balls, but we still had a blast.

Rounding the Corner & Old Friends Mon, 21 Oct 2013 23:05:26 +0000 Okay everybody, this might be tiny bit boring. But don’t worry it’s not too boring 🙂

On the evening 18th of Oct. we met up with one of daddy’s Beachbody coaches, Ms. Sharon, and her husband, Mr. Will, for dessert. We popped into the Cheesecake Factory and ordered our yummy cheesecake. Then we drove to their house. We went inside to eat. After eating, Mr. Will offered to let us take a peek through his night vision goggles. Then Ms. Sharon told us that we could sleep inside if we wanted to. Daddy and Mommy talked about it, then decided that we would sleep inside the house.

In the morning Mr. Will showed us all of his guns (he was in the military, so he had some pretty cool guns). There was a lot of guns there. Then daddy had a meeting with some of His Beachbody coaches. Us kids played downstairs while the adults talked. Gigi and I made a cool LEGO Star Wars TIE fighter with a set that Ms. Sharon let us build (actually, for half the time Gigi played with the minifigs while I built). So we were occupied for quite some time. Then Mr. Will came and asked us if we would like to do some archery. So we did that for a little while then went downstairs again. When dad’s meeting was done, we went to go out to eat with Ms. Sharon and Mr. Will. When we finished linner (lunch/dinner) we went our separate ways.

Then we drove and parked at our campsite and went to bed.

Then next day we went to Mass, then headed to the Airborne & Special Ops Museum. It was very cool to see this place. A big thank you to all of those who serve in our military!

Afterwards, we to dinner with one of Mommy’s high school friends and his family, the Q’s. We had good ribs for dinner. While the adults talked, us girls had fun keeping the Q’s baby, Colton, happy.
After eating and talking we went outside to see the RV. We talked some more and then said our goodbyes. After that we went to the campsite and got ready for the day to come.

In the morning, we drove to Georgia to meet and eat with one of daddy’s College friends and his family. Uncle Nino and dad joked around while we ate. Afterwards, we to a cupcake shop and got some delicious cupcakes. Then we had to drive to Cave Springs, so we said bye and were on our way. But on the way we stopped at the Trappist monks and said hi to Jesus. And that ends our week of meeting with friends.

Slideshows x2! Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:42:59 +0000 We just finished up 2 slideshows; one is entitled “Upstate New York,” and the other is entitled “Fall Foliage and New England.”



(To make it easier for all of us, make sure that you subscribe to our YouTube channel!)

Gettysburg at last! Fri, 18 Oct 2013 01:35:52 +0000 Yesterday we arrived in Gettysburg, kinda sad, since the park was shut down, but nevertheless excited, since we had watched the 4-hour long movie Gettysburg. It was a historically accurate, well done, very good movie. You should watch it!

After parking the RV, we walked about 10 minutes to the Gettysburg Museum of History, which is a museum comprised of artifacts from Gettysburg, the two World Wars, and JFK. It was featured on the TV show American Pickers, when the guys found a Confederate Soldier uniform, and bought it for the museum. There was a lot of cool stuff there; things like muskets, canteens, cannon balls (we were amazed at how big they were), and bullets, plus lots of other amazing things. After leaving the museum, we got Ice Cream, then headed to the campsite.

Upon checking in, we were given free tickets to the Gettysburg Military Diorama. We decided to go, and we were not sorry. The diorama is the largest military diorama in the country! At over 700 square feet, it’s bigger than the RV! After looking over the diorama and a few other exhibits, we sat down for the show to begin.

The room went dark, and we watched a short introductory video about the Civil War. Then, as the voice-over described the events happening, the locations of the battles light up, and as they were fighting, gunfire sounded and the cannons lit up. It was nice that the respective troops, as well as their respective locations, lit up as the narrator mentioned them, especially as he was talking about the Union “fishhook.” All in all, the show, which encompassed all 3 days of the war, lasted about 30 minutes. As we were looking through the gift shop, the couple who was watching the show with us mentioned that there was talk of Congress coming to an agreement. We left and settled into our campsite for the night, hopeful that we might be able to go into the park the next day.

The next morning, we drove to the visitors center, to see if the park would be open that day. Sure enough, they were! After taking a campus tour of Mount St. Mary’s University 30 minutes away, as well as visiting the National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, we came back to Gettysburg to see the park.

We took a driving tour of the park (in the RV) which covered 26 stops that were in the order of the events which occurred. At first, we drove really slow, stopping to read the plaques dedicated to each battalion. Since it was taking us a while, and Mom realized that we only had 1 hour left of daylight, we stopped reading the plaques and just drove to each POI along the way. We stopped at 2 overlook towers; one was and the other was!

We were able to see a lot of the places where wattles happened, like Little Roundtop, the High Water Mark (where much of Pickett’s Charge was rebutted), and the Railroad Cut. It really helped that we watched Gettysburg, because we knew what had happened at these places. For all you kids, it was definitely not a boring documentary; it was written like a real movie, and it made root for all of the soldiers as they went to battle. The 3 sisters highly recommend watching it, because we really enjoyed it! In fact, Gigi could be heard yelling “Virginians! Virginians!” as we drove through Virginia.

We ended up staying an extra night (that night) in Gettysburg. We were not sorry. The day had been lots of fun, since we had gotten to actually see the park. Thank you Jesus for a great opportunity!

Quakertown and Padre Pio Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:15:57 +0000 We left the Catskill Mountains and got on the road to Pennsylvania…Quakertown. No, we didn’t see any Quakers :), but we did get to practice golfing a little at Fox Hollow. It was primarily a travel and rest day for us.

The next morning we got up bright and early to go to Barto, Pennsylvania…the home of the National Center for Padre Pio.

We first visited the small chapel and prayed in front of one of Padre Pio’s gloves that covered his stigmata (the wounds of Jesus). We later learned his stigmata appeared when he was a young man, early in his priesthood. People flocked to San Giovanni Rotonda and there was a period of about three years where he could only celebrate Mass in private. When his wounds were confirmed to not be self-inflicted, he was able to celebrate public Masses again.

St. Pio is definitely a modern day saint. When we looked around the Spirituality Center, we were in awe of the color photographs they had on display of him celebrating Mass. There were even photos of him celebrating his last Mass (on Sept. 22) before he died on Sept. 23, 1968. The photographs of his funeral procession were humbling.

A little background about this Center….it is through the efforts of the Calandra family, whose 4 year old daughter was cured through Padre Pio’s prayers while he was still alive. (the doctors had removed her bladder and told her parents to take her home and make her comfortable, but she would not live long. After hearing Padre Pio in a dream tell her to bring her daughter to him, Mrs. Calandra flew to Rome and gained two very brief audiences with him. When she returned home, the doctors were astonished to see that a new bladder was growing her daughter’s body!)

After that Mrs. Calandra made it a priority to educate and speak to people about Padre Pio. This Center is a result of that effort. In fact, she even was recognized by the pope for her work…the papal award “Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice.” The Museum is well-done and a must see.

There’s a movie about the Calandras and another young man who survived a car accident where all the bones in his face were broken (through the intercession of Padre Pio, he was completely healed). In the museum, you can also see several replicas of rooms that he would have lived in…as a boy, as a seminarian and as a priest. There’s a timeline of his life and several first and second class relics.

We prayed at a replica of his marble tomb where on top was displayed the Calandras’s most cherished relic…a piece of cloth that touched the wound of his heart and had his blood on it. Pope John Paul II also gave the National Center the Pallium that he wore on the day Padre Pio was canonized. Along with that, there was a chalice that belonged to Blessed Pope John Paul II (soon to be Saint!)

In the gift shop, we met a famous Italian singer, Patrizio Buanne, who was also visiting the center. We have yet to hear his music, because our Internet has been spotty, but as he said to us, you can YouTube him =)

If you ever have a chance, this is a place to visit. There was so much to see and learn here. We loved it!